Nearly 500 Spaces Transformed and Thousands of Lives Changed
Groundswell is now celebrating our 20th year as New York’s leading organization dedicated to community public art.
Since our founding, youth in our programs have worked with professional artists and community organizations to transform upwards of 500 public spaces, developing high-quality works of art and creating visible change in neighborhoods that are infrequently the focus of beautification projects. Each day, Groundswell artworks touch the lives of thousands of New Yorkers.
Here is a look at some of our recent accomplishments:
- Over Groundswell’s 20-year history, we have nearly 500 public art projects in over 75 neighborhoods, engaging 95 artists and thousands of young people.
- Groundswell works with 50 community partners and serves 1,000 youth each year.
- Our projects make visible timely and relevant social justice concerns, such as human rights, environmental inequality, the iron pipeline which keeps guns on the streets of low-income neighborhoods, and the potential of a restorative approach to transform our criminal justice system.
- In 2016, Groundswell completed 55 new works of public art.
- These projects were created on highly visible sites, including community gardens, public schools, several Food Bazaar supermarkets, The Trust for Public Land, and VIP Community Services.
- 98% of youth participants believe they will use skills learned at Groundswell in other aspects of their lives.
- 90% of community partners feel a partnership with Groundswell supports their outreach efforts and raises awareness of the issue addressed by the artwork.
- 100% of parents strongly agree that Groundswell teaches their children community involvement.
- Each year, 65% of Groundswell mural apprentices participate in both our summer and afterschool offerings, for a total annual contact time of 275 hours.
- 90¢ of each dollar contributed directly supports Groundswell’s programs for NYC youth.
View our Annual Report
View Fiscal Year 2014 Annual Report
View Fiscal Year 2013 Annual Report
View Fiscal Year 2012 Annual Report
View Fiscal Year 2011 Annual Report